Pages

Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Day 1

I love new beginnings. There is something so rejuvenating, so invigorating, so empowering about starting something fresh. Whether it's the beginning of a new year, a new relationship, or a new goal, new beginnings fill me with excitement, hope, and the feeling that I can do anything! (Well, almost anything.) Today is a new beginning...day 1.

I am a sixth-grade language arts teacher, and I have big dreams for my new parcel of pupils that will make their way to my classroom in early August. This year, I am not simply going to teach the do's and don'ts of correctly crafting the standard argument essay, informative piece, or sliver of narrative. This year, after we master placing the elusive end mark in every sentence, I want to teach my students that, whether they know it or not, they... are... writers.

To make this dream even the slightest possibility of reality, I realized that I could no longer just be a writing teacher, but I now had to become a writing teacher. In other words, just teaching my students how to write is not going to be enough. I, too, must write.

Sadly, when it comes to writing I epitomize the idiotic idiom that mocks, "Those who can, do; those who can't..." (I can't even bring myself to complete the thought.) In a moment of panic, I reached out to Jennifer Laffin from Teach Write. "Where do I begin?" I cried. Not only did Jennifer quickly respond to my desperate plea, but after an encouraging, thought-provoking, and inspiring conversation, she triple-dog-dared me to have my blog up and running, complete with my first post, by the end of the day. (Note: No dares were actually used in the making of this inaugural post.)

So here it is.

Now I need to go and figure out what all of these gadgets, navbars, and sidebars do.



Happy Writing!
Gail

12 comments:

  1. YAY!!!! YOU DID IT!! Happy to have helped. Now....see you back here next week???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Gail. Our Jennifer is a great mentor to gently nudge you to something wonderful. You're right... we have to become writing teachers to teach writing. Great first post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Get ready for this journey! It will take you places you never dreamed!!! Can't wait to read more blogs!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on taking the leap! You are in the right place, in a community of educators who value writing and walking the walk when you teach writers. I'm like you- I love a new beginning. My school year is almost at an end, which means the beginning of summer and also time to dream about the new school year beginning. We are so lucky as educators to get such frequent opportunities to begin again. (Don't worry about the widgets and sidebars- I blogged for over a year before having a clue about them! It's the words that matter.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations for creating a post that starts you on a journey where you will appreciate every step. It's a community that has inspired me for many years. I'm now retired, but I taught a mixed group of students 6, 7, 8, was also a lit coach, will look forward to what you share about your teaching and your summer life!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gail, it is wonderful to have another new friend in the connected educators' world. Your first blog was filled with the spirit of beginnings. Day 1 is an appropriate title. I just came home from an amazing experience-having my first grandchild so I decided to write blog post and poetry so that little Sierra can one day look back on her journey into life. Now I am off to write blog #2. I have to compliment you on your dipping into the writing pool. Yes all teachers need to write in order to encourage their students to become writers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations and welcome to this wonderful community of teachers who write! I am also a 6th grade language arts teacher! I think you will love the connections you will make in this blogging world! Great first post! Isn't it amazing what we can do when we are tripled-dog-dared!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Woo hoo! So fun! Jennifer is a wonderful mentor, I love writing with her. My family and I went to an amusement park near us today and I saw a guy with a shirt that said, "Embrace the Suck". I have absolutely no idea what the shirt was referring to but I was really close to asking him if I could take his picture because sometimes I really do feel like writing means embracing the suck. It's also embracing the creative life that comes with being a writer and the awesome...but there's a lot about writing that feels like "the suck". The thing is, if we (as teachers) are in the arena with them, it's more like being writers together rather than, like you said, being a writing teacher who doesn't write. I'll never forget when I started writer's notebooks with my students and I realized I was going to have to write in my own to model for them and write along with them...it felt like pressure but it was a good pressure because just having a notebook with them helped me start to think like a writer. I started noticing things so I could put them in my notebook and I still love my notebook. I love that I get to read your very first post and I'm excited to see where this writing journey takes you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welcome. You are a writer. Nurture it. Enjoy it's bumpy road. Best wishes to you on your beginnings.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Way to go Gail! You are on an exciting journey of learning about the power writing will have for your teaching and for yourself. Probably the most helpful text that I read about writing comes from Anne Lamott. It helps me turn off the inevitable soundtrack that begins to play in my head (you can't write, you've run out of ideas, this time it is going to flop). Here is a link and I hope it leads you through your journey when things get hard and if self doubt arises. https://wrd.as.uky.edu/sites/default/files/1-Shitty%20First%20Drafts.pdf

    ReplyDelete
  11. A new blog and a slice on your first day? Wow! Can't wait to see post #2!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So glad you decided to join this community! It is a wonderful experience and you will reap the benefits. I look forward to "seeing" you on Tuesdays and on Twitter. ~Amy

    ReplyDelete